What is involved in Product Development
Find out what the related areas are that Product Development connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Product Development thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Product Development journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Product Development leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Product Development related domains to cover and 163 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Product Development, New product development, Association of International Product Marketing & Management, Best practice, Brand management, Choice modelling, Conceptual economy, Consumer good, Customer requirement, Customer value proposition, Design for assembly, Design for manufacturability, Design for six sigma, Detailed design document, Engineering design, Flexible product development, High-level design, Industrial design, Integrated Authority File, Integrated product team, Market opportunity, Market penetration, Market research, Market share, National Diet Library, Phase–gate model, Pro-innovation bias, Process management, Product Development and Management Association, Product design, Product lifecycle, Product management, Product strategy, Quality function deployment, Requirements engineering, Requirements management, Social design, Soft launch, Stevens Institute of Technology, Supply chain, User-centered design, User experience, Verification and validation, Virtual product development, Voice of the customer:
Product Development Critical Criteria:
Graph Product Development failures and be persistent.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– Does Product Development include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– The owner of the product development processes in one of the companies stated: there are no product managers named in the company, what should they do?
– What can we do to ensure that all the necessary product development steps are adequately followed under the pressure of being first to market?
– Compare sequential product development and simultaneous product development. what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Product Development with what users do day-to-day?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– What are we trying to do whilst progressing a product development lifecycle ?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Product Development activities?
– How should you most effectively invest your product development resources?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development and/or innovation?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development andor innovation?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can new product development be sped up?
New product development Critical Criteria:
Illustrate New product development goals and ask what if.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Product Development forward?
– Do Product Development rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Who sets the Product Development standards?
Association of International Product Marketing & Management Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Association of International Product Marketing & Management adoptions and oversee implementation of Association of International Product Marketing & Management.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Product Development ?
– Have you identified your Product Development key performance indicators?
– What is our Product Development Strategy?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Best practice risks and know what your objective is.
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– What are our best practices for minimizing Product Development project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Product Development project lifecycle?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Product Development workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
– Is the use of CCM destined to become an important and requisite audit methodology best practice?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– Who would you consider best practice in any or all of the instore sales drivers?
– What best practices are relevant to your service management initiative?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– What are some best practices for managing business intelligence?
– What are the best practices for Risk Management in Social Media?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– What best practices are relevant to your ITSM initiative?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Coach on Brand management decisions and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Brand management projects.
– Does our organization need more Product Development education?
– Why are Product Development skills important?
– How to Secure Product Development?
Choice modelling Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Choice modelling goals and create Choice modelling explanations for all managers.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Product Development process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Product Development process available?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Product Development project?
– Why should we adopt a Product Development framework?
Conceptual economy Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Conceptual economy goals and probe the present value of growth of Conceptual economy.
– In what ways are Product Development vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What are the business goals Product Development is aiming to achieve?
Consumer good Critical Criteria:
Test Consumer good tactics and achieve a single Consumer good view and bringing data together.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Product Development does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Think about the functions involved in your Product Development project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Are accountability and ownership for Product Development clearly defined?
Customer requirement Critical Criteria:
Read up on Customer requirement engagements and spearhead techniques for implementing Customer requirement.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Product Development is underway?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if the change request is not executed?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if a change request is not executed?
– Does it increase the risk that the organization cannot meet its customer requirements?
– How do we know that any Product Development analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Customer value proposition Critical Criteria:
Chat re Customer value proposition planning and work towards be a leading Customer value proposition expert.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Product Development project?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Product Development opportunities costing us money?
– What are current Product Development Paradigms?
Design for assembly Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Design for assembly projects and finalize specific methods for Design for assembly acceptance.
– What is our formula for success in Product Development ?
Design for manufacturability Critical Criteria:
Recall Design for manufacturability governance and summarize a clear Design for manufacturability focus.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Product Development models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Product Development agendas for the next 3 years?
– What are our needs in relation to Product Development skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Design for six sigma Critical Criteria:
Dissect Design for six sigma adoptions and acquire concise Design for six sigma education.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Product Development in a volatile global economy?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Product Development? There might be some that are less obvious?
Detailed design document Critical Criteria:
Examine Detailed design document visions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Detailed design document.
– What are the usability implications of Product Development actions?
Engineering design Critical Criteria:
Design Engineering design leadership and observe effective Engineering design.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Product Development study?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Product Development effort?
Flexible product development Critical Criteria:
Deduce Flexible product development decisions and define Flexible product development competency-based leadership.
– Does Product Development analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Think of your Product Development project. what are the main functions?
– What are the long-term Product Development goals?
High-level design Critical Criteria:
Test High-level design strategies and slay a dragon.
Industrial design Critical Criteria:
Adapt Industrial design tactics and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Industrial design projects.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Product Development is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Product Development leader?
– How would one define Product Development leadership?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Integrated Authority File tactics and revise understanding of Integrated Authority File architectures.
– Are there recognized Product Development problems?
Integrated product team Critical Criteria:
Face Integrated product team risks and report on developing an effective Integrated product team strategy.
– What business benefits will Product Development goals deliver if achieved?
– Is a Product Development Team Work effort in place?
Market opportunity Critical Criteria:
Discuss Market opportunity issues and report on the economics of relationships managing Market opportunity and constraints.
– Do the Product Development decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– What are the barriers to increased Product Development production?
Market penetration Critical Criteria:
Value Market penetration tasks and look in other fields.
– What is the source of the strategies for Product Development strengthening and reform?
Market research Critical Criteria:
Dissect Market research planning and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Market research.
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– How important is Product Development to the user organizations mission?
– What are the short and long-term Product Development goals?
Market share Critical Criteria:
Devise Market share failures and balance specific methods for improving Market share results.
– Are the calculated sales volumes realistic, taking into account the competitive position, realistic market share, importance of customer problem/pain and stage/maturity of customer needs?
– Consider your own Product Development project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Does Product Development systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What drives market share?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Detail National Diet Library risks and figure out ways to motivate other National Diet Library users.
– Think about the people you identified for your Product Development project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Is Product Development Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Phase–gate model Critical Criteria:
Check Phase–gate model outcomes and transcribe Phase–gate model as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Is maximizing Product Development protection the same as minimizing Product Development loss?
– What vendors make products that address the Product Development needs?
– How can we improve Product Development?
Pro-innovation bias Critical Criteria:
Dissect Pro-innovation bias management and interpret which customers can’t participate in Pro-innovation bias because they lack skills.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Product Development strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Can we do Product Development without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Which Product Development goals are the most important?
Process management Critical Criteria:
Check Process management failures and question.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– What are the disruptive Product Development technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Product Development that make it risky?
– Is Product Development dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Product Development and Management Association Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Product Development and Management Association projects and define what our big hairy audacious Product Development and Management Association goal is.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Product Development leaders?
Product design Critical Criteria:
Adapt Product design risks and adjust implementation of Product design.
– To what extent has the product architecture and overall product design been developed?
Product lifecycle Critical Criteria:
Pilot Product lifecycle governance and get answers.
– Will Product Development have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How will you measure your Product Development effectiveness?
Product management Critical Criteria:
Map Product management outcomes and revise understanding of Product management architectures.
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– In marketplace businesses what is the optimal relationship between product management Category Management and marketing?
– What is the optimal relationship between Product Management Category Management and Marketing?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Product Development activities?
– What about Product Development Analysis of results?
Product strategy Critical Criteria:
Check Product strategy projects and mentor Product strategy customer orientation.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Product Development?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Product Development objectives?
– How well does the product fit with our product strategy?
Quality function deployment Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Quality function deployment visions and figure out ways to motivate other Quality function deployment users.
– To what extent does management recognize Product Development as a tool to increase the results?
– What will drive Product Development change?
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Focus on Requirements engineering management and acquire concise Requirements engineering education.
– How do we keep improving Product Development?
Requirements management Critical Criteria:
Graph Requirements management issues and check on ways to get started with Requirements management.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Product Development project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Will Product Development deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
Social design Critical Criteria:
Chat re Social design decisions and find out what it really means.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Product Development strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– How to deal with Product Development Changes?
Soft launch Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Soft launch tasks and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Soft launch is getting what it needs.
– Who will provide the final approval of Product Development deliverables?
Stevens Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Stevens Institute of Technology engagements and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Stevens Institute of Technology projects.
– Does the Product Development task fit the clients priorities?
– What are our Product Development Processes?
Supply chain Critical Criteria:
Confer re Supply chain engagements and forecast involvement of future Supply chain projects in development.
– How is the complex digital supply chain -where multiple downstream providers provide services for each other and data residence and transmission points are increasingly obscure -being dealt with from an audit perspective?
– Now that organizations have fine-tuned human performance, supply chain, operations, processes, cycle time, and other targeted areas, how can they continue to improve performance?
– There is a need to determine where value is added in the supply chain what are the expectations of each stakeholder in the supply chain?
– To change the nature of the relationship in the supply chain where should we go and what leverage opportunity could be applied?
– Does Supply Chain Integration Mediate the Relationships between Product/Process Strategy and Service Performance?
– How do supply chain management systems coordinate planning, production, and logistics with suppliers?
– How can sluggish supply chains be empowered by IoT to make them more transparent and responsive?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– What are the roles of suppliers and supply chain partners in CRM?
– What and where are the value changes in the supply chain?
– What is our current position within our supply chain?
– In HW, SW & Services we source from a global supply chain?
– What does the supply chain do with product data?
User-centered design Critical Criteria:
Audit User-centered design risks and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in User-centered design.
– Does Product Development appropriately measure and monitor risk?
User experience Critical Criteria:
Inquire about User experience visions and describe which business rules are needed as User experience interface.
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What is the difference between information architecture and user experience design?
– What are the potential impacts to user experience by using a cloud-based service?
– Agile-User Experience Design: With or Without a Usability Expert in the Team?
– What are the problems when integrating Agile Development and User Experience?
– What is the difference between customer experience and user experience?
– What are the best-practices for creating a good User Experience?
– What does User Experience do?
– What is User Experience?
Verification and validation Critical Criteria:
Nurse Verification and validation risks and probe Verification and validation strategic alliances.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Product Development objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Who needs to know about Product Development ?
Virtual product development Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Virtual product development strategies and arbitrate Virtual product development techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Product Development information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Voice of the customer tasks and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Voice of the customer projects.
– In a project to restructure Product Development outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– How do we manage Product Development Knowledge Management (KM)?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Product Development Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Product Development External links:
Andrews-Cooper – Product Development
352 Inc – Digital Product Development and Marketing Agency
Synapse Product Development – Official Site
New product development External links:
New Product Development – Kleinn Air Horns
Best practice External links:
What is best practice? – Definition from WhatIs.com
ALTA – Best Practices
Best Practices – Independence Title
Brand management External links:
BMP – Brand Management Professionals
Learn About Brand Management – The Balance
Choice modelling External links:
Is Biogeme good for Choice Modelling? – researchgate.net
[PDF]Journal of Choice Modelling – Econometrics …
Applied discrete-choice modelling in SearchWorks catalog
Conceptual economy External links:
Winning Lessons for Entrepreneurs in the Conceptual Economy
Consumer good External links:
Consumer good | economics | Britannica.com
Consumer Goods – Investopedia
Top 100 Consumer Goods Companies 2017
Customer requirement External links:
Critical Customer Requirement (CCR) – …
Aquiss Internet : Customer Requirement System
Customer Requirement Information – Kansas Wildlife, …
Customer value proposition External links:
[PDF]The Customer Value Proposition
Customer Value Proposition (CVP) framework | ToolsHero
Customer Value Proposition Manager Jobs, …
Design for assembly External links:
Design for Assembly (The Design Society)
DFMA Q&A – Design for Assembly – YouTube
Design for assembly (Book, 1983) [WorldCat.org]
Design for manufacturability External links:
PCB Design for Manufacturability | Altron
Design for Manufacturability (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
PCB Design For Manufacturability
Design for six sigma External links:
Design for Six Sigma: A Roadmap for Product Development
Design for Six Sigma | HANSER eLibrary
Design for Six Sigma | Design For Six Sigma | Six Sigma
Detailed design document External links:
Detailed Design Document – TheFreeDictionary
[PDF]Your detailed design document must include the …
Detailed Design Document Format
Engineering design External links:
[PDF]Engineering Design Representation – University of – …
Civil Engineering Design | Texas
Industrial design External links:
Alias | Industrial Design & Product Design Software | Autodesk
Engineering & Industrial Design Technology | Penn College
Home | School of Industrial Design | Georgia Tech
Integrated Authority File External links:
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
Integrated Authority File (GND) – Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
MEDLARS indexing integrated authority file : chemical section
Integrated product team External links:
Integrated Product Team (IPT) – U.S. Army PM PNT – …
Integrated product team
http://An Integrated Product Team (IPT) is a multidisciplinary group of people who are collectively responsible for delivering a defined product or process. IPTs are used in complex development programs/projects for review and decision making. The emphasis of the IPT is on involvement of all stakeholders (users, customers, management, developers, contractors) in a collaborative forum.
[PDF]Integrated Product Team Effectiveness in the …
Market opportunity External links:
What is Market Opportunity? definition and meaning
AlphaCentric Hedged Market Opportunity Fund Class I …
Market penetration External links:
What Is Market Penetration Pricing? | Chron.com
Worldleaders – Market Penetration & Sales Improvement
Market Penetration – Commentary Magazine
Market research External links:
The Arcview Group | Cannabis Investment & Market Research
MenuTrends, Food Industry Market Research | Datassential
Market share External links:
Market Share | Title Data
Market Share Reports in Title Insurance – HDEP …
2018 Market Share and Box Office Results by Movie Studio
National Diet Library External links:
Floor Plan | National Diet Library
Free Data Service | National Diet Library
National Diet Library 国立国会図書館 — National Diet Library
Pro-innovation bias External links:
http://In diffusion of innovation theory, a pro-innovation bias is the belief that an innovation should be adopted by whole society without the need of its alteration. The innovation’s “champion” has such strong bias in favor of the innovation, that he/she may not see its limitations or weaknesses and continues to promote it nonetheless.
Pro-innovation bias – Revolvy
Pro-Innovation Bias – Sparkonit
Process management External links:
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM …
HEFLO BPM | Business Process Management
Process management in spinning (eBook, 2015) …
Product Development and Management Association External links:
Recent Jobs – Product Development and Management Association
Product Development and Management Association …
Product design External links:
Daedalus – Product Design
Product Design | Gallarate | mrdcompany
Product lifecycle External links:
PLM−Product Lifecycle Management: Siemens PLM Software
Product Lifecycle Management
What is product lifecycle ? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Product management External links:
2018 Product Management Bulletins
Home – Sports Product Management – University of Oregon
San Francisco – Product Management & Innovation 2018
Product strategy External links:
5 Steps to a Winning Product Strategy
Product Strategy Definition and Examples | Aha!
Product Strategy | SBI
Quality function deployment External links:
Quality Function Deployment in Excel | Excel QFD Template
Quality Function Deployment | ASQ
Requirements engineering External links:
Requirements Engineering (eBook, 2002) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements Engineering – Springer
[PDF]Collaborative Requirements Engineering – NIST
Requirements management External links:
iRise – Best prototyping tool + inline requirements management
Scope Management vs. Requirements Management | …
[PDF]Requirements Management Plan PPM Version 2
Social design External links:
DSI / Social Design
Social Design Sydney — designing for social outcomes
InWithForward – a social design organization
Soft launch External links:
Tyche Soft Launch – Google+
Soft Launch Vs. Hard Launch | Chron.com
The PR Secrets to a Successful Soft Launch – Entrepreneur
Stevens Institute of Technology External links:
Optimal Resume at STEVENS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
Stevens Institute of Technology – Official Site
Stevens Institute of Technology – Niche
Supply chain External links:
Welcome to UPS Supply Chain Solutions
Supply Chain Solutions | UPS United Problem Solvers™
CaseStack Supply Chain Solutions
User-centered design External links:
User-Centered Design Process Map | Usability.gov
User experience External links:
eCode360® Library : The Best User Experience | General Code
User Experience Basics | Usability.gov
Google User Experience Research
Verification and validation External links:
[PDF]DATA VERIFICATION AND VALIDATION
[PDF]Verification and Validation – University of California, …
Virtual product development External links:
Caterpillar Virtual Product Development and HPC – YouTube
Voice of the customer External links:
Voice Of The Customer | Medallia
Voice of the Customer: Have You Asked Enough Questions?
http://www.isixsigma.com › Methodology › VOC/Customer Focus