What is involved in Grid Computing
Find out what the related areas are that Grid Computing connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Grid Computing thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Grid Computing journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Grid Computing leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Grid Computing related domains to cover and 163 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Grid Computing, LHC Computing Grid, European Middleware Initiative, Software as a service, Race condition, Computing resource, C++ AMP, Univa Grid Engine, Cloud computing, Storage Resource Management, Symmetric multiprocessing, Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing, Temporal multithreading, Ateji PX, Massively parallel, Jungle computing, Shared memory, Nordic Data Grid Facility, Computer network, Atos Origin, Network interface controller, Instruction cycle, Karp–Flatt metric, Loop-level parallelism, Application programming interface, Web Services Resource Framework, Global Arrays, Maozhen Li, Message Passing Interface, Analysis of parallel algorithms, Coarray Fortran, Cache coherence, Parallel programming model, Utility computing, Parallel computing, Application checkpointing, Silicon Graphics, Open Grid Services Architecture, Computer hardware, Memory coherence, Flynn’s taxonomy, Systolic array, Grid Security Infrastructure, Computer memory, Amdahl’s law, Techila Grid, Economic forecasting, Grand Challenge problem, Volunteer computing:
Grid Computing Critical Criteria:
Chart Grid Computing tasks and document what potential Grid Computing megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Grid Computing project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Grid Computing?
– What happened to grid computing?
– What is grid computing?
LHC Computing Grid Critical Criteria:
Consolidate LHC Computing Grid adoptions and achieve a single LHC Computing Grid view and bringing data together.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Grid Computing process?
– How do we know that any Grid Computing analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– How will you know that the Grid Computing project has been successful?
European Middleware Initiative Critical Criteria:
Map European Middleware Initiative tasks and forecast involvement of future European Middleware Initiative projects in development.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Grid Computing agendas for the next 3 years?
– Can we do Grid Computing without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What are the business goals Grid Computing is aiming to achieve?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Software as a service failures and find the essential reading for Software as a service researchers.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Grid Computing services/products?
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
– Does Grid Computing analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Grid Computing?
Race condition Critical Criteria:
Merge Race condition tactics and look at the big picture.
– Does Grid Computing analysis show the relationships among important Grid Computing factors?
– What will drive Grid Computing change?
Computing resource Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Computing resource results and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Computing resource information.
– When information truly is ubiquitous, when reach and connectivity are completely global, when computing resources are infinite, and when a whole new set of impossibilities are not only possible, but happening, what will that do to our business?
– Does your department or organizational unit manage or support computing resources (data bases, hardware, web pages, etc.) that are used by people that access those resources from outside your department?
– Which component(s) of a cloud infrastructure framework helps automating the creation and delivery of computing resources to the consumers?
– Which cloud computing characteristic enables consumers to get computing resources without any human intervention?
– Does any other department depend on data or computing resources that your department provides?
– To what extent does management recognize Grid Computing as a tool to increase the results?
– How does the organization acquire and allocate its computing resources?
– Do we all define Grid Computing in the same way?
C++ AMP Critical Criteria:
Unify C++ AMP failures and assess what counts with C++ AMP that we are not counting.
– What are specific Grid Computing Rules to follow?
– How to Secure Grid Computing?
Univa Grid Engine Critical Criteria:
Add value to Univa Grid Engine visions and plan concise Univa Grid Engine education.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Grid Computing with what users do day-to-day?
– Why are Grid Computing skills important?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Categorize Cloud computing management and find the essential reading for Cloud computing researchers.
– It is clear that the CSP will face a large number of requests from its customers to prove that the CSP is secure and reliable. There a number of audit and compliance considerations for both the CSP and the customer to consider in cloud computing. First, which compliance framework should a CSP adopt to satisfy its customers and manage its own risks?
– Business Considerations. Business considerations include the overall organizational readiness for using cloud computing. Is the application owner willing and comfortable with a cloud platform?
– Data classification: how sensitive is the data that will be placed in the cloud (e.g., confidential, critical, public) and what controls should be in place to ensure it is properly protected?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Provider viability: what happens to your organizations applications and data in the event that the provider goes out of business?
– For a customer-facing application, is the move to cloud computing expected to increase the number of customers accessing it?
– How do you prove data provenance in a cloud computing scenario when you are using shared resources?
– Recoverability: how will the service provider respond to disasters and ensure continued service?
– What is the future scope for combination of Business Intelligence and Cloud Computing?
– How can cloud stakeholders ensure and promote the security of Cloud computing?
– Is there any application left that does not talk to at least one of its fellows?
– What are some cost cutting strategies for controlling cloud computing costs?
– What are the ways in which cloud computing and big data can work together?
– What should telcos be focusing on in 5 10 years?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– How does BYOD affect security in the cloud?
– What problems does cloud computing solve?
– How do I estimate cloud computing costs?
– How not to be locked in a SaaS system?
Storage Resource Management Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Storage Resource Management adoptions and catalog Storage Resource Management activities.
– Think about the functions involved in your Grid Computing project. what processes flow from these functions?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Grid Computing processes?
– Are accountability and ownership for Grid Computing clearly defined?
Symmetric multiprocessing Critical Criteria:
Define Symmetric multiprocessing leadership and get going.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Grid Computing effort?
– What are the barriers to increased Grid Computing production?
– Are there Grid Computing Models?
Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing Critical Criteria:
Own Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing quality and document what potential Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Grid Computing processes?
– Do Grid Computing rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– What is our formula for success in Grid Computing ?
Temporal multithreading Critical Criteria:
Mix Temporal multithreading risks and innovate what needs to be done with Temporal multithreading.
Ateji PX Critical Criteria:
Administer Ateji PX projects and devise Ateji PX key steps.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Grid Computing? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Is a Grid Computing Team Work effort in place?
– Are there recognized Grid Computing problems?
Massively parallel Critical Criteria:
Nurse Massively parallel governance and research ways can we become the Massively parallel company that would put us out of business.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Grid Computing opportunities costing us money?
– Is the scope of Grid Computing defined?
Jungle computing Critical Criteria:
Scan Jungle computing management and revise understanding of Jungle computing architectures.
– what is the best design framework for Grid Computing organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What are our needs in relation to Grid Computing skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Shared memory Critical Criteria:
Gauge Shared memory governance and find answers.
– Have you identified your Grid Computing key performance indicators?
– What are the short and long-term Grid Computing goals?
– Who needs to know about Grid Computing ?
Nordic Data Grid Facility Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Nordic Data Grid Facility planning and transcribe Nordic Data Grid Facility as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What are the key elements of your Grid Computing performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Is Grid Computing dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Read up on Computer network quality and devise Computer network key steps.
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Grid Computing project?
– Are there Grid Computing problems defined?
Atos Origin Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Atos Origin issues and get answers.
– Will Grid Computing deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How can we improve Grid Computing?
Network interface controller Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Network interface controller results and mentor Network interface controller customer orientation.
– In the case of a Grid Computing project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Grid Computing project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Grid Computing project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What is the source of the strategies for Grid Computing strengthening and reform?
– Is there any existing Grid Computing governance structure?
Instruction cycle Critical Criteria:
Use past Instruction cycle issues and know what your objective is.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Grid Computing workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Are assumptions made in Grid Computing stated explicitly?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Grid Computing Management?
Karp–Flatt metric Critical Criteria:
Probe Karp–Flatt metric visions and test out new things.
– Is Grid Computing Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Loop-level parallelism Critical Criteria:
Investigate Loop-level parallelism risks and reduce Loop-level parallelism costs.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Grid Computing. How do we gain traction?
– Why should we adopt a Grid Computing framework?
Application programming interface Critical Criteria:
Understand Application programming interface planning and grade techniques for implementing Application programming interface controls.
– Is the Grid Computing organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How would one define Grid Computing leadership?
Web Services Resource Framework Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Web Services Resource Framework strategies and integrate design thinking in Web Services Resource Framework innovation.
– Among the Grid Computing product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Do the Grid Computing decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Global Arrays Critical Criteria:
Systematize Global Arrays failures and budget for Global Arrays challenges.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Grid Computing experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Grid Computing, including any consulting or professional services?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Grid Computing goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Maozhen Li Critical Criteria:
Devise Maozhen Li goals and integrate design thinking in Maozhen Li innovation.
– In a project to restructure Grid Computing outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Is Supporting Grid Computing documentation required?
Message Passing Interface Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Message Passing Interface risks and define Message Passing Interface competency-based leadership.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Grid Computing information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What vendors make products that address the Grid Computing needs?
Analysis of parallel algorithms Critical Criteria:
Grade Analysis of parallel algorithms planning and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Analysis of parallel algorithms.
Coarray Fortran Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Coarray Fortran adoptions and attract Coarray Fortran skills.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Grid Computing is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
Cache coherence Critical Criteria:
Understand Cache coherence tactics and spearhead techniques for implementing Cache coherence.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Grid Computing leader?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Grid Computing project?
– How do we measure improved Grid Computing service perception, and satisfaction?
Parallel programming model Critical Criteria:
Devise Parallel programming model adoptions and figure out ways to motivate other Parallel programming model users.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Grid Computing project manager?
Utility computing Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Utility computing tactics and innovate what needs to be done with Utility computing.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Grid Computing leaders?
– When is utility computing preferable to running a private cloud?
– How do we go about Comparing Grid Computing approaches/solutions?
Parallel computing Critical Criteria:
Design Parallel computing decisions and define what do we need to start doing with Parallel computing.
– What are our Grid Computing Processes?
Application checkpointing Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Application checkpointing leadership and adjust implementation of Application checkpointing.
– How do we Improve Grid Computing service perception, and satisfaction?
– What about Grid Computing Analysis of results?
Silicon Graphics Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Silicon Graphics risks and spearhead techniques for implementing Silicon Graphics.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Grid Computing been identified and analyzed?
– How can you measure Grid Computing in a systematic way?
Open Grid Services Architecture Critical Criteria:
Group Open Grid Services Architecture decisions and grade techniques for implementing Open Grid Services Architecture controls.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Grid Computing process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Grid Computing process available?
– How do we keep improving Grid Computing?
Computer hardware Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Computer hardware planning and maintain Computer hardware for success.
– Which customers cant participate in our Grid Computing domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
Memory coherence Critical Criteria:
Confer re Memory coherence quality and look in other fields.
– Do those selected for the Grid Computing team have a good general understanding of what Grid Computing is all about?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Grid Computing project?
Flynn’s taxonomy Critical Criteria:
Confer over Flynn’s taxonomy tasks and devote time assessing Flynn’s taxonomy and its risk.
– Does Grid Computing appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Systolic array Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Systolic array strategies and find out what it really means.
Grid Security Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Focus on Grid Security Infrastructure results and optimize Grid Security Infrastructure leadership as a key to advancement.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Grid Computing study?
– How do we go about Securing Grid Computing?
Computer memory Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Computer memory goals and remodel and develop an effective Computer memory strategy.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Grid Computing strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How will you measure your Grid Computing effectiveness?
Amdahl’s law Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Amdahl’s law issues and slay a dragon.
– Have all basic functions of Grid Computing been defined?
Techila Grid Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Techila Grid quality and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Techila Grid.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Grid Computing process?
Economic forecasting Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Economic forecasting adoptions and assess and formulate effective operational and Economic forecasting strategies.
Grand Challenge problem Critical Criteria:
Debate over Grand Challenge problem tasks and probe the present value of growth of Grand Challenge problem.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Grid Computing strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What are internal and external Grid Computing relations?
Volunteer computing Critical Criteria:
Start Volunteer computing outcomes and find answers.
– How do we Lead with Grid Computing in Mind?
– What is Effective Grid Computing?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Grid Computing Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Grid Computing External links:
[PDF]Grid Computing – University of Minnesota Duluth
What is grid computing? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Grid computing (Book, 2006) [WorldCat.org]
LHC Computing Grid External links:
Ganga: an interface to the LHC computing grid – YouTube
The LHC computing grid project at CERN – ScienceDirect
The Worldwide LHC Computing Grid | CERN
European Middleware Initiative External links:
[PDF]EUROPEAN MIDDLEWARE INITIATIVE – CERN
https://cds.cern.ch/record/1543541/files/EMI Security Architecture.pdf
[PDF]European Middleware Initiative Execution Service – …
European Middleware Initiative – Home | Facebook
Software as a service External links:
DENTAWEB Software as a service
DENTAEB Software as a service
Enterprise Gamification Software as a Service Platform
Race condition External links:
Race condition – Everything2.com
What is a race condition? How do you avoid it? – Quora
multithreading – What is a race condition? – Stack Overflow
Computing resource External links:
Cloud Computing Resource Center | Cloudnexa
nsf17542 Petascale Computing Resource Allocations …
Petascale Computing Resource Allocations | NSF – …
Univa Grid Engine External links:
Release Notes – Univa Grid Engine
Webinar: Univa Grid Engine 8.5.3
Univa Grid Engine + Univa UniCloud Head Node – aws.amazon.com
Cloud computing External links:
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
AWS Cloud Computing Certification Program – aws.amazon.com
Storage Resource Management External links:
What is Storage Resource Management? Webopedia Defini…
MainView Mainframe Storage Resource Management …
Storage Resource Management (SRM) – Gartner IT Glossary
Symmetric multiprocessing External links:
Linux and symmetric multiprocessing – IBM
Symmetric multiprocessing – YouTube
Symmetric Multiprocessing (SMP) – Techopedia.com
Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing External links:
BOINC – Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing
BOINC – Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing
Ateji PX External links:
Ateji PX – Quora
Massively parallel External links:
Massively parallel single-nucleus RNA-seq with DroNc …
IBM Demos In-Memory Massively Parallel Computing | …
Massively Parallel Processing (DW)—a Technical …
Shared memory External links:
ORA- 27101: shared memory realm does not exist tips
ORA-04031: unable to allocate bytes of shared memory tips
Nordic Data Grid Facility External links:
[PDF]Nordic Data Grid Facility NDGF – www.ndgf
NDGF abbreviation stands for Nordic Data Grid Facility
[PDF]new supercomputer eVITA: Nordic Data Grid Facility
Computer network External links:
What is a Computer Network? – Definition from Techopedia
Remote services, computer network, PC Health Check – …
Atos Origin External links:
AEXAF Analysis & News – Atos Origin SA | Seeking Alpha
Network interface controller External links:
Network Interface Controller: Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com › … › I/O Port Cards › RAID Controllers
[PDF]Reference Guide for the Network Interface Controller
Instruction cycle External links:
What is Instruction Cycle? Webopedia Definition
The Instruction Cycle Flashcards | Quizlet
Loop-level parallelism External links:
What is loop-level parallelism? – insideHPC
[PDF]Using Loop-Level Parallelism to Parallelize …
22. Support for Loop-level Parallelism
Application programming interface External links:
What is the TPAM Application Programming Interface …
Web Services Resource Framework External links:
[PDF]Web Services Resource Framework (WSRF) – Primer
[PDF]Web Services Resource Framework (WSRF) – Primer v1
Global Arrays External links:
Global Arrays – Google Groups
PNNL: Global Arrays Toolkit, Download
Perl Access Global arrays – Stack Overflow
Maozhen Li External links:
Maozhen Li | Facebook
Maozhen Li Introduction | Brunel University London
Message Passing Interface External links:
Using Microsoft Message Passing Interface
Message Passing Interface (MPI) | HPC | USC
Introduction to the Message Passing Interface (MPI) using C
Analysis of parallel algorithms External links:
[PDF]The Design and Analysis of Parallel Algorithms – IAUN
[PDF]Analysis of Parallel Algorithms
Coarray Fortran External links:
Weather forecasts using CoArray Fortran – Google Groups
Documentation – Coarray Fortran 2.0 at Rice University
Coarray Fortran 2.0 – Performance Results
Cache coherence External links:
What is cache coherence? – Quora
cache coherence | Pooja Vaishnav
What is cache coherence? Webopedia Definition
Parallel programming model External links:
[PDF]Supporting a Flexible Parallel Programming Model …
[PDF]Coarrays–A Parallel Programming Model in Intel …
Google’s parallel programming model | ZDNet
Utility computing External links:
What is Utility Computing? – Definition from Techopedia
What is utility computing? – Definition from WhatIs.com
[PDF]Service Level Agreement (SLA) in Utility Computing …
Parallel computing External links:
[PDF]Parallel Computing and OpenMP Tutorial – UCLA
Features – Parallel Computing Toolbox – MATLAB
Application checkpointing External links:
HARDWARE-ASSISTED APPLICATION CHECKPOINTING …
Silicon Graphics External links:
Silicon Graphics | SALVATION!
Open Grid Services Architecture External links:
[PDF]The Open Grid Services Architecture, Version 1
[PDF]Open Grid Services Architecture Glossary of Terms
CSRC – Glossary – Open Grid Services Architecture
Computer hardware External links:
CompSource.com: Computer Hardware, Software, …
computer hardware A+ Flashcards | Quizlet
Computer Hardware | Computerworld
Memory coherence External links:
What is memory coherence? – Definition from WhatIs.com
[PDF]Memory Coherence in Shared Virtual Memory Systems
MEMORY COHERENCE PROBLEM PART-1 – YouTube
Flynn’s taxonomy External links:
ICAR – Flynn’s Taxonomy Flashcards | Quizlet
3.1 Flynn’s Taxonomy – phy.ornl.gov
Mod-03 Lec-23 Flynn’s Taxonomy, SIMD and Vector …
Systolic array External links:
systolic array – YouTube
QCA Systolic Array Design – IEEE Computer Society
[PDF]8 Data Flow and Systolic Array Architectures
Computer memory External links:
What type of computer memory to use in a memory upgrade?
Computer Memory and PC RAM – Newegg.com
Computer Memory | DDR4 DDR RAM Upgrades | Crucial.com
Amdahl’s law External links:
What is Amdahl’s law? – Definition from WhatIs.com
What is Amdahl’s law? – Quora
Amdahl’s law legal definition of Amdahl’s law
Economic forecasting External links:
Economic Forecasting Flashcards | Quizlet
Economic Forecasting Project – Old Dominion University
Grand Challenge problem External links:
[PDF]A Grand Challenge Problem in Hydrology and Water …
Volunteer computing External links:
Adventures in Volunteer Computing – Medium
Volunteer Computing (@VolunteerComp) | Twitter
TBD: a new model for volunteer computing – BOINC